• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Bob Dylan - All Along the Watchtower

I'm a Hendrix fan, but the guy can't even remember the lyrics at about the 1:00 mark... And this is the 2nd or 3rd video I've seen of live Hendrix performances where's he done that -- forgotton the lyrics, or gotten confused and sung them out of order.

He must have performed in a VERY wasted state.

He must have performed in a VERY wasted state.

Wasn't that quite common with many performers of that era? I read in Tom Brokow's "Boom" that he walked off the set during an interview with Judy Collins because her piano player was drunk and she appeared to be on drugs.

My favorite song. Brilliant doesn't even come close to describing Jimmy Hendrix.

Legendary and timeless. From the first note to the last, he breathes life into a relatively dull and uninspiring Dylan song. Suddenly it springs to life, belching fire like a dragon. Which is probably what he was hallucinating when he recorded it.

A version by Bear McCreary was used quite dramatically in the closing scene of an episode of Battle Star Galactica.

Right when Tye and the others discover they are Cylons. I love that one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Marino

From the YouTube notes:

Being an old man of 59, I have had the pure joy and privilege of enjoying both Jimi Hendrix and Frank Marino. And while I totally agree that Hendrix was probably the most theatrical, talented and inventive guitar player I ever heard, anyone saying that Marino was a poor comparison or an intentional "clone" of Hendrix either doesn't know their rock music history or is just misinformed. Frank Marino was/is one of the most creative and respected guitar talents to ever pick up an axe and has long garnered the respect of his peers as well as fans. Obviously, he was influenced by Hendrix, but so was just about every guitar player who came after him. Because Marino's band, Mahogany Rush hailed from Canada (along with another "moderately successful" band using the "Rush" name...lol), and because Mahogany Rush didn't enjoy the same level of commercial success as the Jimi Hendrix Experience or Jimi's lesser known but equally talented band, "Band Of Gypsies", he wasn't nearly as well known. But make no mistake, Marino is a great guitarist in his own right and there is plenty of respect to go around for rock fans to enjoy both he and the late, great Jimi Hendrix. No room for haters in great rock music.

:rad :rad :rad

490831.jpg

There must be some way outta here
Said the joker to the thief
There's too much confusion
I can't get no relief

Business men, they drink my wine
Plowman dig my earth
None of them were on the line
Nobody any of it is worth

(harmonica)

No reason to get excited
The thief he kindly spoke
There are many here among us
Who feel that life is but a joke

But you and I, we've been through that
And this is not our fate
So let us stop talkin' falsely now
The hour is getting late

(harmonica)

All along the watchtower
Princes kept the view
While all the women came and went
Barefoot servants, too

Outside in the distance
A wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching
The wind began to howl

(harmonica)

My favorite version of this song is still the one that served as background music for the big battle scene on Battlestar Galactica.

The latest Chanel perfume commercial has this song as background music. Many more commercials seem to have songs from the 60's and 70's as background music than newer songs, which I think speaks to the quality of the "old" music.

Back