• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Bobby Troup - Route 66

Wow!!! Thanks for posting these "other" versions of Route 66. I imagine I am like most folks and only associate Nat King Cole with the song.

I didn't know the Stones performed Route 66. I would love to see a video of that performance.
Asleep at the Wheel sounds like a real cool group. I'll have to check them out via You Tube.

Asleep at the Wheel sounds like a real cool group. I'll have to check them out via You Tube.

Here is a studio performance of Route 66 by Asleep at the Wheel. I have never heard of the "Country Swing" genre. I'll have to check it out further. Part of the fun of SBR's Music Subforum.

I didn't know the Stones performed Route 66. I would love to see a video of that performance.

I found a video of a 1976 concert. Route 66 is just not the type of song I would associate with the Stones.

a little info Bob Wills developed Western Swing, at his peak 32members were on stage. Pretty smart guy who could pick out musicians. The guys never knew when Bob would point to them to solo. You better be special or you were gone. He built a big California base in Sacramento( wills point). Tiny More is buried in Sac. Tommy Duncan in Merced. Junior Barnard died in car wreck near merced and is buried in an unmarked grave.

Texas Swing Guitar - "Barnard was a loud guitarist who had an overdriven tube sound decades before it became widely popular with rock guitarists. His main guitar, a blond Epiphone Emperor arch-top (occasionally Junior used a Gibson ES-150), was dubbed "*my young radio station," because it had so many wires and controls added on. Although Barnard first electrified his instrument with a DeArmond pickup, he later added another unit from a steel guitar. The two pickups were wired out of phase, and each was amplified through a separate channel. (Junior used both a Fender Pro with a 15" speaker and an Epiphone amplifier.) In addition, Barnard employed a volume pedal, for which he probably got the idea from steel guitarists such as McAuliffe and Boggs. "In those days in the Wills band," Shamblin remembers, "you never knew when you'd get a solo. Bob would just point his fiddle bow at you and say, 'Take it away.' Junior didn't have time to turn the volume up, so you can see that the pedal was a time-saving device." - Buddy McPeters

Thanks for the info. I should watch Ken Burns documentary on country music, as he probably covers western swing in it.