• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Dave Brubeck Quartet: Take Five

B

BillST4s

Yes, we have all heard "Take Five" a million times, but have we ever seen it being performed? Through Youtube, we can now watch vintage broadcasts and live performances of jazz classics by the original artists. Here are three performances of "Take Five."

None of Desmond's solos in the videos below are identical to that in the recording of "Take Five" found in Brubeck's pioneering "Time Out" album. Desmond reportedly composed "Take Five" to feature the quartet's drummer. The version in "Time Out" has an extended drum solo in the middle.

Legend has it that Desmond drew the rhythm of "Take Five" from the sound of old fashioned mechanical slot machines he heard while performing in Las Vegas. The title "Take Five" comes from its unusual 5/4 time signature. All of the numbers in "Time Out" had time signatures which varied from the classic 4/4 (or 2/2) time signature found in most jazz numbers.

Notice how Brubeck gained hair over the years while Desmond lost it. Brubeck was raised on a cattle ranch in California and is a graduate of the University of the Pacific.

I've performed Take 5 quite a few times. It's one of the few odd meter pop tunes, along with the Mission Impossible Theme, which is also in 5/4 time.

I've performed Take 5 quite a few times. It's one of the few odd meter pop tunes, along with the Mission Impossible Theme, which is also in 5/4 time.
What instrument were you performing this on? Due to its key signature, it is quite difficult for me to play on my tenor saxophone. It is a little easier to play on my bari, which is in the same key (E flat) as Desmond's alto.

What instrument were you performing this on? Due to its key signature, it is quite difficult for me to play on my tenor saxophone. It is a little easier to play on my bari, which is in the same key (E flat) as Desmond's alto.

Guitar. When there was no sax player, I played the melody. When there was, I played accompaniment. Although I generally despise Eb on guitar since it's an E instrument, I don't think it mattered much for this piece. The bass player might have groused a bit (and quickly tuned down a half step), but I don't remember.

Guitar. Although I generally despise Eb on guitar since it's an E instrument....
I thought guitars were all in the key of C, or am I misinterpreting what you said?

I thought guitars were all in the key of C, or am I misinterpreting what you said?

The lowest note on a guitar is E. And the lowest and highest strings, when played open, are both E notes. Also, 4 of the open notes on a normally tuned guitar form an E minor chord.

From Wikipedia:

--> "Take Five" is a jazz piece written by Paul Desmond and performed by the Dave Brubeck Quartet on their 1959 album "Time Out". Recorded at Columbia's 30th Street Studios in New York City on June 25, July 1, and August 18, 1959, this piece became one of the group's best-known records, famous for its distinctive, catchy saxophone melody and use of the unusual quintuple (5/4) time, from which its name is derived. <---

Fast forward thirteen years later to 1972 (the year I graduated from college :eek: ), the Dave Brubeck Quartet and Paul Desmond are still performing it like it is new.