• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Doobie Brothers: China Grove

B

BillST4s

I am surprised at the number of oldies which pop up on TV commercials. A recent one is the first few measures of China Grove.

I always wonder if people will be listening to 60 or 70 year old rappers 40 years from now.

I always wonder if people will be listening to 60 or 70 year old rappers 40 years from now.

yup they will

We played China Grove in HS band and Friday Night football games ... a lot! In the early 80s.

So I started thinking about the Doobie Brothers after looking at the Jim Croce thing.

I met Tiran Porter at the Crows Nest once. We were smoking cigarettes outside and started bullshitting. I didn't recognize him. He introduced himself. I asked him about the lyrics to Neal's Fandango. We sang the song. The guy was super cool.

There was a big fire around Lexington Reservoir in 1985 IIRC. I was cruising around that day on a TT500 up on Old Santa Cruz Highway. I drove into the old Chateau. it looked pretty dilapidated. (The Hells Angels Parties were before my time.) The wind being sucked through the Redwoods was fierce. The grass was on fire. I didn't stick around for very long.

470706.jpg

470707.jpg

470708.png

My mom had some wealthy friends that lived on Hollywood Avenue in Los Gatos. One of The Doobie Brothers owned the house next door. My mom's friends didn't like them. I worked on that house in the mid-eighties after it had been sold and I hung out there with friends occasionally. It was a trippy place.

Even though I was only a little shaver at the time, I really enjoyed growing up in the seventies.

Awesome post Gary! When I was 14 some older kid with his license drove us up there and we sat in the parking lot and tried to act cool - hahahahahahah.

Love the Tom Johnston Doobies, can't F%@#%ing stand the Michael McDonald non-Doobies. Favorite song - Dark Eyed Cajun Woman.

Back