• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Eric Clapton - Layla

M

mnb

Written as a love song to George Harrison's wife, Patty Boyd...

The original version by Derek and the Dominoes (which Eric was a member of)
(sorry, I couldn't find a real video of this that I liked)

And much later, remade into a very different song:

Eric and Duane playing at their best. :rad
I wonder and Eric and George ever got drunk and jam to this tune together as ex-husbands in law?

Eric Clapton has been in the biz for nearly 50 years. During that time he has played with nearly everyone. Here he is playing his hit "Layla" with another veteran, Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits.

Live at the Montreux Jazz Festival. With Joe Sample on piano, David Sanborn on alto, and Marcus Miller on bass clarinet.

The Lincoln Center Concert with Wynton Marsalis, April 2011.

Wow!!! I just watched the jazz version in post #1 and I thought it was simply amazing, the best version of that song I have ever heard. Love the alto and bass clarinet.

Thank you, Bill.

Wow!!! I just watched the jazz version in post #1 and I thought it was simply amazing, the best version of that song I have ever heard. Love the alto and bass clarinet.

Thank you, Bill.

The piano player, Joe Sample, passed away last Friday at the age of 75. :angel

Thank you, Bill.

The bass clarinet and alto played "Someone to Watch Over Me" as an intro before the bass clarinet started on "Layla".

This is "Layla" week on SBR's Music Forum. I invite others to post their favorite versions to this thread.

Here is an early version (1974). I wish there were a live video, as the band is really rocking.

And here is a fairly recent live version, Phoenix, 3/14/13. Just when you think Clapton is slowing down and mellowing out, he doesn't.

A mellow, acoustic version from 2013 (Pittsburg).

Could Clapton have thought that a song he wrote over 40 years ago would be his job security in the 21st Century?

Continuing to 2014. An acoustic version from Switzerland for the King :squid.

Clapton will turn 70 in March. From Wikipedia:
He is the only three-time inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: once as a solo artist and separately as a member of the Yardbirds and Cream. Clapton has been referred to as one of the most important and influential guitarists of all time. Clapton ranked second in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" and fourth in Gibson's "Top 50 Guitarists of All Time". He was also named number five in Time magazine's list of "The 10 Best Electric Guitar Players" in 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Clapton

Back