• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

If I Could Fly vs. Viva La Vida: Did Coldplay copy Joe Satriani?

B

BillST4s

I first heard "Viva La Vida" as background music on one of Randy the X Man's moto videos. On a later video of Randy's, I heard a number that I thought was an instrumental version of "Viva La Vida". Much to my surprise, Randy's closing credits stated that the number was actually "If I Could Fly" by Joe Satriani.

Well, apparently Joe Satriani harbored the same thoughts as I and is suing Coldplay. The lawsuit has generated a lot of postings on Youtube. Here are two:

For you music majors and real musicians, here is one person's analysis of the two numbers. I don't understand any of his music Geek speak, but I do have a pretty good ear. Suffice it to say that Coldplay would not want me on the jury if this matter ever goes to trial.

Interesting analysis, especially part 2.

I might disagree with him slightly on some academic points that only two music theory geeks would care about, but he's pretty much nailed it.

Back