• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Louie Armstrong - St. James Infirmary

I went down to old Joe's bar room,
on the corner by the square
Well, the drinks were bein' served as usual,
and this motley crowd was there

Well, on my left stood Joe McKennedy,
and his eyes were bloodshot red
When he told me that sad story,
these were the words he said:

I went down to the St. James infirmary,
I saw my baby there
She was stretched out on a long white table,
so cold, and fine, and fair
Go ahead!

Let her go, let her go,
God bless her, wherever she may be
She can search this world over,
never find another man like me

Yes, sixteen coal black horses,
to pull that rubber tied hack
Well, it's seventeen miles to the graveyard,
but my baby's never comin' back

Well, now you've heard my story,
well, have another round of booze
And if anyone should ever, ever ask you,

Great find. I am more familiar with Louie Armstrong's rendition. A female jazz singer whose name escapes me recently recorded this song as well.

This is one of the King :squid's favorite songs. Scrolling through You Tube, you would be surprised at how many artists have recorded it.

Bump for Mardi Gras. This is one of the more complete, comprehensible versions of the song.

Bump for Mardi Gras.

A Louis Armstrong recording of St. James Infirmary on a record of my parents was the first time I heard this jazz classic.

A very creative video using the Louis Armstrong soundtrack.

Bump for Mardi Gras.

King 🦑 Are you sure this is Janice Joplin? :confused

If memory serves correct, you once posted an even earlier, English folk song version of this song, what is now a New Orleans jazz classic.

He was an important figure in the acoustic folk revival of the 1960s. His work ranged from old English ballads to blues, gospel, rock, New Orleans jazz, and swing. He was also known for performing instrumental ragtime guitar music, especially his transcription of "St. Louis Tickle" and Scott Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag".

Van Ronk was a widely admired avuncular figure in "the Village", presiding over the coffeehouse folk culture and acting as a friend to many up-and-coming artists by inspiring, assisting, and promoting them. Folk performers whom he befriended include Bob Dylan, Tom Paxton, Patrick Sky, Phil Ochs, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Guthrie Thomas, and Joni Mitchell.

Van Ronk received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) in December 1997.

Two versions. I prefer the first one with its tenor sax solos.

Scanning You Tube, I am surprised at how many of the British rock groups of the early-mid 60's performed classic American Blues. That could probably the subject of an interesting discussion.

I wrote that I was surprised at how many British rock bands of the early-mid 60's performed classic American Blues. Here is another example.

Back