• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Love Hurts

Y

Yvonne

"Love Hurts" was written by Boudleaux Bryant and Felice Bryant. According to Wikipedia, The Everly Brothers recorded this song in July 1960 and released it on their album, A Date With The Everly Brothers, in December 1960 but never released it as a single (33 rpm A- or B-side). You can hear the song at the 3:07 point in this video taken from their Reunion Concert at the Royal Albert Hall in 1983 ...

Roy Orbison was the second artist to record the song ...

Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris performed it live on radio in 1973. I guess this is my favorite cover. Found it on Emmylou Harris' Greatest Hits album ...

In 1975 these guys made the song famous worldwide ...

This version was uploaded on my birthday and features Keith Richards and Norah Jones in a tribute to Gram Parsons. I like their version too ...

On a side note The Everly Brothers' father, Ike Everly, was one of Merle Travis' influences regarding using just the thumb and forefinger to play lead lines and rhythmic bass. Travis' playing in turn inspired Chet Atkins.

I really like Emilou's and Nora's harmony work in those two versions. It adds some nice color.

But I'll always be partial to the Nazareth version.

Back