• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

More Hang Drum, this is astonishing

J

JeffKoch

Absolutely amazing, I cannot believe these complex sounds come from a guy playing a simple percussion instrument.

you know you can make something very similar to those drums using a new, empty propane tank.

there is a template on the net you draw on the tank to get the tones, and then cut the "top" off

I think there is a youtube video on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_drum

There's one on ebay for over 5 grand, and several other copies for much less - I guess these are the ones made from propane tanks. I'd never heard of a "hang drum" until yesterday, when I was reading about it in a physics magazine. :laughing The article talked about how to understand the ringing mode distribution, which determines the sounds the drum can make and how they basically overlap each other to create the really rich sound. Incredible, I would never have guessed that you can make such wonderful music by beating your fingers and hands on a piece of metal. :)

Watched something similar on How It's Made (actually it was on for background noise), and that's when I think I started getting interested in this...Well, actually, I have neighbors on both sides with yappy dogs (very inconsiderate of people to have yapping dogs, BTW) and was thinking that if I have a nice gong in the backyard, I could bang it when the dogs are squealing at 3:30 in the morning. Animal control is useless, so is talking to them. Maybe this would be more annoying to the owners at 3:30 in the morning than banging a gong though. Only because I have no musical talents. Hahah...

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for this very interesting link. What a great sounding drum.

The wiki page has an audio of the newer generation hanging drum, that sounded wonderful as well.

Back