• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Picked up some new music gear - reviewed

R

Robert

Ok so I am a gear head.

I picked up some new stuff and I thought I would pass along some information regarding the products to help some of you just in case you were thinking about making the purchase.

First up...

Fender Blues Deluxe amplifier. Well this is a reissue amp with a single 12 inch Eminence and wrapped in tweed. Classic chicken knobs and plenty of sound for a 40 watt amp. I use this mainly for smaller live gigs when playing blues and southern rock. Great little amp for the price... $700. Highly recommend it for those whom want that vintage tone on a budget. Is it a 65' Super? No not even close but it does well and sounds great.

http://www.fender.com/products/hotrod/models.php?prodNo=223220

Next...

Martin 0028ECB "Eric Clapton signature model" acoustic guitar.
Well I fell in love with the sound of this guitar during NAMM of 1996 and have wanted one ever since but they had no plans of releasing one to the public, the only brazilian model one could find in existence was Eric's... and he wasn't giving it up, the production model were of a lesser quality and the thought was Martin would never make an "exact" replica of Eric's guitar.

Well over the years I went the long way around picking up Taylor's, Breedlove's, Santa Cruz's, Blueridge's and even other Martin's however this guitar is in a class all by itself. The sound is unique and the scale is easy to play, the neck is super fast. Recommend this guitar for anyone trying to get that authentic EC sound that he had a few years ago during his live shows. The back and side wood is Brazilian is great quality and the top is master quality spruce. The bracing allows for rich bass tones and is perfect for finger-style playing. This is a must have guitar for any collector not only for its namesake but the fact that Martin very rarely makes Brazilian wood guitars and when they do they are very special indeed and very expensive... more of an investment then a player but I do use it.

Only 500 were made (Mine is #238) in this fashion and this one cost me a lot of money to secure. This will be one of the guitars I own that that will end up as my sons inheritance if he is lucky. One thing that makes this guitar special is it has a built in blended mic system identical to the system that Eric uses, only 6 guitars were made in this series that were electric acoustic. It sounds amazing through my Fender acoustisonic ultra light amp.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?m=000-28ECB (Eric Clapton)&p=a&l=a&d=100

Here is a video of Eric playing his...you can clearly see the on board electronics in the closeups of the guitar, even though he has a condenser mic next to him this is not him primary source of amplification. This pick up system he was using during that concert was an R&D model with a under the saddle piezo pickup, a body sensor located right behind the cross bracing and an internal condenser pickup. All of them blended by an onboard preamp. It was made by Fishman specifically for Eric and it is the same system on my guitar, sounds amazing.

For those who cant justify the expense you can pick up a non brazilian model for about a quarter of the price and it sounds amazing as well.

Next...

Marshall JMD:1 02 amplifier.
Ok I was suspect of this digital amp given the numerous amount of "Modeling amps" out on the market today that try and fail to capture the sound of a vintage plexi or super lead. This last week I was shopping for a new recording amp and came upon this monster. First off let me say this bad boy is loud! Even for a combo amp this thing will make you wear earplugs at volume.

Were to start? Ok this amp is the real deal. I own three of the amps it models and I must say I can not tell the difference, it is that good. Given that Marshall has placed their name on it I had to assume they did their homework and I was rewarded in the fact that they did.

Although Marshall has been known to screw up on occasion... the valve state amp series (MG series) is a great example of Marshall trying too hard and failing.

However, this amp rocks! From clean to crunch to everything in between it is simply something to behold and hear. Obviously if you want to true 60's style of rock you will want to play a Les Paul standard through it, crank it up and let it scream. Everything from Layla to Tommy... this has the goods to produce the god like sounds... the only thing you need is the talent to try and pull it off. But wait! Put a tele in this bad boy and hit the country road or a hollow body and call yourself bad to the bone. I am simply amazed at this product and I don't say that often about non tube or hybrid amps.

I chose the combo version for ease of use... sometime a full stack can be a bit overwhelming... even outside.

The price? $1200.00 OTD. :rad And for that price you get a whole crap load of Marshall tone that is fully programable. Folks if you are into to tone and classic rock this is the amp to get! Or you can do like me and have a room full of amps and an SUV to get yourself to the gig and a roadie to unload all your crap! Marshall hit the nail on the head with this one.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=JMD102

Man, the clarity is amazing. I'm not good enough to get past a 99 dollar acoustic. Surprisingly though, acoustic guitars hold their tune better. I attempted to go to a wound 3rd "G" on my 200 dollar telecaster cheapy and did have it intonated, so that helped a bit.

Nice score,

would love to see a video of your playing it.

Man, the clarity is amazing. I'm not good enough to get past a 99 dollar acoustic. Surprisingly though, acoustic guitars hold their tune better. I attempted to go to a wound 3rd "G" on my 200 dollar telecaster cheapy and did have it intonated, so that helped a bit.

Nice score,

would love to see a video of your playing it.

When he plays that guitar his tuning is one whole step down. This is to relax some of the pressure on the strings and make it easier to bend the strings and it gives his playing a twangy kind of delta sound. I was thinking of dropping my tuning as well to allow the guitar to breath better.

Video huh? Maybe.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this video Robert. What an great song and sound. I love the blues.

Back