• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Pink Martini: Lilly

B

BillST4s

I "discovered" Pink Martini this week while I was listening to NPR's "Toast of the Nation" New Year's Eve jazz broadcast. It was the featured band for the West Coast segment of the program.

I love their Latin numbers, but they perform many different types of music. The lead singer, China Forbes, sings in several languages without a trace of American accent. The band is based to the south of me in Portland, Oregon.

I like this number with its blazing trumpet solo. The song is about a lost love. It could either be a girl friend or a pet dog, I have yet to figure it out.

Several of their hits are on Youtube.
Here is what Wikipedia says about the band.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Martini

Thanks Bill. I love a great variety of music. NPR always has some amazing obscure selections and it's great that you found this one to share with us.

Looking at their Youtube clips; I am surprised at how popular they are, yet they have only recorded three CD's with a fourth one in production.

They will be playing in Seattle May 21st, right after I return from our annual Spring Break Ride. You can check their tour schedule on their website:
http://www.pinkmartini.com/

Lily is a dog. Fur real man.

China told the story when PM was performing at the Cuthbert Ampitheatre in Eugene a couple of years ago.

Woof! I love Pink Martini. Fantastic PNW grown band with great musicality.

I like their music, China has a good voice, I've listened to them for some years now, I have their CDs and have given them as gifts.

But not sure I agree with your comment below, at least not for my native language. Very understandable? Yes. Accentless? Not by a long shot, although for reasons I do not fully understand, the accent is way less pronounced on CD than in live performances.:idunno

The lead singer, China Forbes, sings in several languages without a trace of American accent.

Back