• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Shocking Blue - Venus

B

BeerNBaconGirl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shocking_Blue

A goddess on a mountain top
Was burning like a silver flame,
The summit of beauty and love,
And Venus was her name.

She's got it,
Yeah, baby, she's got it.
Well, I'm your Venus,
I'm your fire at your desire.
Well, I'm your Venus,

Her weapon were her crystal eyes
Making ev'ry man mad;
Black as a dark night she was,
Got what no one else had.
Wow!

She's got it,
Well, I'm your Venus,
Well, I'm your Venus,

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah!
Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah!

She's got it,
Well, I'm your Venus,
Well, I'm your Venus,

I have always enjoyed that song. Did the group ever have another hit?

What a great song and video!

486595.jpg

Mariska Veres died in The Hague on Saturday afternoon, following a battle with cancer. She was 59 years old.

Willem Van Kooten, owner of the Red Bullet label who has worked with Veres since the late 60's, had this to say: 'A major loss. She was a true professional who always lived up to her obligations. She had a highly original voice, very recognizable, and its no wonder she became so well known!'

Born in The Hague, the daughter of Hungarian gypsy violinist Lajos Veres and a German-born mother of French-Russian heritage, Veres was first 'discovered' at the Loosdrechtse Jazz Festival. Due to her experience in numerous bands, she was invited to join Shocking Blue in 1968 to replace singer Fred De Wilde who had been conscripted into Dutch military service.

In 1970 the band scored a Worldwide hit with 'Venus', reaching #1 on the US pop charts - an unheard of achievement for a Dutch pop group. The song has since grown into a pop classic and has often been covered - in 1986 Bananarama had a major hit with their version.

Veres began a solo career after the demise of Shocking Blue in 1974. Following a short-lived but very successful reunion in 1984, Mariska carried on with her own group the The Shocking Jazz Quintet. In 1993 she began to work with a version of Shocking Blue (tribute band?) with which she continued performing for an extended period of time. A few years ago she returned to her 'roots', making a CD of gypsy music with Andrei Serban.

Source: http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=16344.0

The last concert Mariska Veres 17 November 2006, she died 2 December 2006.

Born in The Hague, the daughter of Hungarian gypsy violinist Lajos Veres.......

She was one of your people, Andy. :rad

From her jazz career with the Shocking Jazz Quintet.

Back