• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Stop, Hey Whats That Sound Everybody Look Whats Goin Down

G

gg883

The real name of this song (which I find most people do not know) is "For What It's Worth" and
it has nothing to do with the song. The title came about when Stephen Stills (who wrote the song)
offered it to the record company and said "I have a new song here, for what it's worth, if you want it."

It was inspired by rioting on Sunset Strip in the summer of 1966 due to the closing of a club called
Pandora's Box. The City enacted a curfew to get the kids off the street and the police were enforcing
the curfew.

Little did Stephen Stills (a member of the band Buffalo Springfield at the time) realize that his song
would have such lasting impact and become one of the most universal protest songs.
This song was Buffalo Springfield's only song to break into the Top 10 peaking at #7 in 1967.

I had done a solo acoustic rendition and then met a husband and wife duo, Sonya and Shuie,
that were covering old obscure Buffalo Springfield songs. They started listening to my stuff too
and we became fans of each other. I approached them to collaborate with me on this song.
They had never collaborated long distance before (they live in England) but said they would give
it a try so I sent them my solo acoustic recording. I let them decide what to add.

What I got back was stunning. They added guitars and bass and harmony vocals and all of it
was true to the original song. Their really worked some Buffalo magic here:

Back