• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Thelonius Monk Quartet: Blue Monk

B

BillST4s

To answer my earlier question, the Youtube notes say that is Charlie Rouse on tenor. Sorry, no table dancing by Monk. Watch Monk's hands during his solo. At one point he is playing cross-handed.

To answer my earlier question, the Youtube notes say that is Charlie Rouse on tenor. Sorry, no table dancing by Monk. Watch Monk's hands during his solo. At one point he is playing cross-handed.

This is the man when it comes to this style of music. He is a legend in jazz circles and rightfully so. To think of all the records he made and all the equally famous people he is credited playing with in his long life it is even more amazing that his music has seemed to dim over the years. If you want a good taste of really good music find some of his albums, grab a glass of wine, kick back with your lady and prepare for a very relaxing night.

And yes that is Charlie on tenor, another great legend in his own right. Great find Bill... thanks!

Every piano teacher's nightmare :LOL:
Get a load of the funky foot tapping in the beginning. I love how he stands up while the other guys are soloing and just stares at them. Miles would go back stage for a cig, but no, Monk just STARES at you. Would totally break my concentration and freak me out.

Best part is, all the guys except Monk looks like a :nerd, but they're cool. I was a :nerd and I was really really uncool. Different standards for musicians and computer guys I guess :idunno

The video I posted has been removed for alleged copyright violations.

Here is one of Monk and John Coltrane performing Blue Monk. Sorry, no live video.

From the Youtube notes:
8th track from The Carnegie Hall Concert album. Carnegie Hall, New York, NY (11/29/1957).
Thelonious Monk (piano); John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Ahmed Abdul-Malik (bass); Shadow Wilson (drums)