• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing

Knopler's finger picking style :rad! Funny that there are a million Clapton clones, but I can't think of anyone who's tried to cop Knopler's style. That makes it so much cooler to hear him play.

Knopler's finger picking style :rad! Funny that there are a million Clapton clones, but I can't think of anyone who's tried to cop Knopler's style. That makes it so much cooler to hear him play.

And to think he does it without a pick. Amazing.

Could it be that most guitar players are thinking in terms of chords and Knopfler is thinking in terms of individual notes? I have only played horns, never a "chord" instrument like a piano or guitar.

And to think he does it without a pick. Amazing.
I was thinking "that must be painful to the fingertips" as I was watching him play.

Could it be that most guitar players are thinking in terms of chords and Knopfler is thinking in terms of individual notes? I have only played horns, never a "chord" instrument like a piano or guitar.
I think it's just him not using a pick. Changes his whole approach to choosing notes. More chord tones than scales, and not too fast.

I was thinking "that must be painful to the fingertips" as I was watching him play.
Electric guitar strings are pretty easy on the picking hand, but you need a delicate touch since the strings are so sensitive.

Fingerpicking isn't all that rare, after all it's a mainstay in the acoustic guitar world. Lindsay Buckingham is an extensive practioner of the art both on electric and acoustic.

Not to belittle Mark Knopfler, he's an incredible guitarist. His unique sound party comes from fingerpicking but mostly from the rhythms, patterns and intervals he uses.

I just got the "Sorry, Video is no Longer Available" black screen of death, so I am reposting it.

Sometimes a youtube video gets stale if you have it open in a background tab for a LONG time. Just refresh the page. If that doesn't work, click the link below it.

I'm working on fingerstyle as it opens up a whole new world of sound. Buckingham is one of my favorites, very unique sound. Jeff Beck uses his thumbnail for a pick leaving his fingers free for more things. It's all good!

Kit

Fingerpicking isn't all that rare, after all it's a mainstay in the acoustic guitar world. Lindsay Buckingham is an extensive practioner of the art both on electric and acoustic.

Not to belittle Mark Knopfler, he's an incredible guitarist. His unique sound party comes from fingerpicking but mostly from the rhythms, patterns and intervals he uses.

Agreed. There just wasn't any that many famous white electric blues rock finger pickers. I also think that his choice of notes, intervals, and even his phasing is highly influenced by the fact that he finger picks. The only way to tell of course is to travel to a parallel universe and see how Mark plays with a pick.

I'm working on fingerstyle as it opens up a whole new world of sound. Buckingham is one of my favorites, very unique sound. Jeff Beck uses his thumbnail for a pick leaving his fingers free for more things. It's all good!

Kit

I didn't even know about Buckingham until you guys mentioned it. Thanks

Mark Knopfler also has a dynamite album with Chet Atkins.:thumbup

A 5/30/2005 performance. Still rockin' after all these years.

The duet towards the end of the video between Knopfler and the saxophonist was lovely.

I have always liked that song since I first heard it waaaaaaay back when. Mark Knopfler is quite an interesting person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Knopfler

According to the Wikipedia article, many of us have something in common with him: "However, in March 2003 he was involved in a motorbike crash in Grosvenor Road, Belgravia and suffered a broken collarbone, broken shoulder blade and seven broken ribs." :crash

Back