• Welcome to Classic Rock Zone

Here you will find some of the most awesome classic rock videos. Each thread will contain the original version of the song along with other live performance videos, covers by other artists, how to play video, chord with lyrics and other interesting information about the song.

We hope you enjoy the forum and hope you will register so you can post your favorite classic rock videos. Registration and full access is always free.

Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing

You Tube keeps killing my favorite live performance of "Sultans of Swing." I just found this one from the 1983 "Alchemy Live" concert.

Like the legendary Phoenix, my favorite performance (with Eric Clapton at the Nelson Mandela 70th birthday tribute in 1988) continues to rise from the ashes of You Tube.

You Tube does not give the date of this recording, but Knopler's gray hair, receding hairline, lower voice, and subdued performance all suggest it is much later. He still sounds good, however. :clapping

I tried to find the latest version of this classic. Here is one from 2013. I'm amazed Knopfler can continue playing it for 30 years and keep it fresh.

I scored some Knopfler tickets last year here from Nils. Was a a great show, something I'll always remember. :)

A lot of people on You Tube feel the Alchemy Live concert was Dire Straits' best performance of Sultans of Swing. That may be true as the band members were young and very lively, but the Nelson Mandela 70th Birthday Tribute performance (1988) with Eric Clapton is my favorite.

well, he is consistent - in mumbling on all versions

I do love the song, though

Mark Knopfler & Eric Clapton performing 'Sultans of swing' at Nelson Mandela 70th Birthday Tribute (1988).

Cover or lip sync? We may never know. :confused

Mark Knopfler has changed the lyrics over the years. Those are the ones I remember from when I first heard the song back in the late 70's-early 80's.

You keep bringing back my old posts from the early days of the music subforum. :thumbup

You have good tastes! :clapping

Back